So last night we crashed. Big time. Instead of being productive we did laundry and watched Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Which meant I had LOTS of time to knit:
That’s my bluish/tealish (it so counts for project spectrum June since this is about as blue as I get!) Green Gable. I’m starting to think it’s cursed. So far on this project I have broken one of my Denise needles and run into three (WTF?!) knots in the yarn. So I refuse to get emotionally involved in this project because I have a strong suspicion that disaster is looming. This is strictly a top-down raglan learning experience:
See the thing with raglans is that your arm hole location is proportional to your chest measurement…which for a busty petite girl doesn’t really work so well. So I am making the 36" size so that the arms are in the right place and then I added short row shaping. Everything I read about short row bust shaping said to start the shaping about 2-3 inches below the armpit… well… I had this brilliant plan that since I’m short-waisted it would be better to start higher up… but I didn’t really understand short rows or how to measure for them when starting… so I just fudged it. I started them 1" below the armpit and did 24 short rows (12 wrapped stitches on each side). And well… the shaping seems really high…or the armpits are very low. Not sure which it is but the sweater is looking a little… odd.. I’m going to knit a few more rows down to the waist decreases and then try it on again and see where I’m at. If I have to rip it all out I’m not going to get upset because this is a learning experience and I’m not NOT emotionally involved. Really, I’m not.
I’m pretty happy with the way the short row dart looks though – the stitches seem to be falling pretty flat and even:
I just hope it fits ok!