August 17, 2008

Olympic Update – taking your advice

So first of all thank you guys so much for your reassurance that my yarn looks ok! You’ve made me feel so much better about this little experiment. Also making me feel better? The way the swatch came out:
swatch
Me likey.
swatch
Before I could even pause to blog the swatch I cast on and started the third event of my Fiberman – the knitting. Most of the weekend (except for Friday night – then we went to the Feast with my brother to help him carbo load for Pedal to the Point. He rocked that btw. Both legs. So 150 miles in one weekend. Pretty awesome accomplishment if you ask me. Oh and if you want to donate his website is here – no pressure, though.) was spent happily like this:
best weekend ever

Yes that would be Madden in the background. Matt recently hooked up the 360 to the internets and since then has been thoroughly enjoying beating the crap out of his buddies in various games. Also I’m not sure that last picture accurately shows the cuteness that was happening there:
best weekend ever
Dexter cuddled his little head into the ball of handspun and fell asleep. Completely adorable. Anyways! Check out all I have accomplished:
body complete!
That’s the entire body! It knit up super quick. Mainly because the yarn I spun came out to be much bulkier than worsted weight. So I ended up doing some math and adjusting the pattern to be knit on 10’s at a gauge of 3.25 stitches / inch. Anything would go quick at that gauge.
body complete!
I think the math is working out ok so far… and honestly, I’m really liking the yarn now.

I had some issues with pooling at the beginning so I ended up winding up the other 4 oz that I spun and alternating on every other row. That seemed to solve the pooling issue:
body complete!

I know I have plenty of yarn left to finish the sleeves but not enough to do the ribbing for the collar and sleeve edges. I haven’t decided if I want to do those in a commercial yarn or more handspun, though. I think a contrasting collar would be nice…
body complete!
So I’m going to go stash diving and see what I come up with. Part of me is eying the remaining fiber that I have yet to spin and thinking, hmmm… I kindof want to overdye it with the same dye solutions to make fiber that’s maroon with green bits instead of green with maroon bits and use that for the collar. That would mean I might not make the deadline of next Sunday, though…. Decisions, decisions.
body complete!
Hmmmm….

7 comments:

  1. Love it!!! It's really coming out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking so good! Yeah! Honestly my vote is for commercial yarn for the extra bits. I like the idea of the contrast in texture between the two yarns. Obviously it's up to you.

    The Dexter cuddle time is The Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl, it's fabulous! GO TEAM OHIO! Dexy is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I meant to drop by earlier to say I really like the way the yarn / knitting is coming out!

    2. Total Dexter cuteness! Sophie, on the other hand, has been somehow sneaking out of our fence and going to sit on the front porch. Which would be totally cute if I didn't worry that one day she'll realize she can wander off into the street or down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I luv the yarn!! And how you spent your weekend! ;op

    I say a contrasting yarn for the collar and sleeve edges...chocolate!!!!!

    Happy Knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is knitting up so cool! I also really dig the idea of dyeing/spinning up the ribbing yarn in the mirrored colorway. Then again, a solid maroon would also look fab. (As you can see, I'm a joy at restaurants...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking great! See, the spinning really made the colors look great together. I agree with the other, a contrasting ribbing would be great. Handspun or commercial - either would be OK, but I'd go for contrasting textures too. Will be really eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...